Thursday 26 September 2013

Lessons learnt


So the first lesson has been learnt. I was expecting to put some up to date sized wheels which are known as 700c, 27" in old money. I have a cyclo-cross bike with these wheels so I offered them up to the frame and...they don't fit! Not only is the diameter too big but the hub, the bit with the axle and gears on, is too wide. So I am now forced to enter into the world of jargon. The technical term for the measurement of the hub I need is the over locknut distance! Just trips off the tongue and makes complete sense...not!

Basically the width of the wheel from one side of the hub to the other needs to be around 110mm to fit inside the frame. Now I know that I will need 26" diameters wheels with an over locknut distance of 110mm. I am resisting becoming a cycling jargon nazi and i know that most of these posts are very basic. I am hoping that anyone who enjoys cycling and has no clue whatsoever about how their bike works may read this blog and come away with a small amount of knowledge. I am having to learn as I go and to be honest what's the worst that could happen, its only a bike after all!





No comments:

Post a Comment